World Music Playlist
- So you wanna be a DJ?
- World Music like real beauty is not easy to appreciate at first. But it grows on you over time, till it finally sucks you in. (Warped analogy follows -). Its not like the hot
chick that will turn your head, but rather like that pleasant looking gal next door, who will woo you with intellect and personality...
- Credits -- A lot of these songs have been gleaned from the music rough guides, the putumayo series and from
Charlie Gillett's amazing CD collections. They are the original sources of picking out the good music. There are some
other lucky discoveries, I stumbled upon when randomly sampling music.
- The intention is to list recent world music (<15yrs old), new songs, or re-renditions of old ones.
- Note - Songs from multiple countries are filed under one of them, based on what the music "sounds closer to". Sometimes a region such as Persia/Yugoslavia is used when the country of origin is not exactly clear. I try and add my observations and the meaning of the song titles when possible.
- Novice check - I have sampled world music for just around 4 years or so and only have little (<3 yr) formal training in music. (Both of these are luckily changing!).
- My Opinion - When you listen first time aka. a new world music CD, or Artist you are better off doing something else - read a book, browse, try and sleep or some other distraction, and play music in the background. Allow the music to pull
you to it, rather than force yourself to experience it.
- Disclaimer - This page is under construction. Comments, corrections and additions to the list below are always welcome. Please send email to email@example.com
- Note - Song titles not in English are translated in double inverted commas.
Please contribute traslations if you can.
- Come Explore!